Do you have an interest in the Emacs text editor?
Informal meeting to talk about Emacs.
Things we can cover:
- Preview discussion for Rock Your Emacs workshop
- Getting started with emacs
- org-mode to keep yourself organised
- magit for working with git
- Emacs 24: package management, lexical variables, oh my!
- Elnode the async emacs-lisp webserver
- Guile and emacs and elisp, oh my!
- what's new in emacs 24.4
- How to deal with coming across from Vi(m)
- emacs users mailing list
Please add other topics you'd like to cover.
Event Organiser: Jason Lewis
Update after the BoF
Thanks for attending. Topics covered included:
getting started with emacs for vi users
do the emacs tutorial. Launch emacs and type Ctrl-h followed by the letter t
Also investigate evil mode, but this just delays learning emacs proper.
Great for file management
multiple modes. I'm of the opinions multi modes is hard and there is no really good solution for this.
meet magit on vimeo, alex vollmer
makes names of buffers unique based its path if you are editing multiple files of the same name
icomplete-mode replaced it in 24.4
what all the cool kids are using these days instead of paredit
8 in attendance including 2 intrepid vi users.
a mode for Device Tree language
check if there is a mode for dns bind, might be similar.
for further info on emacs
IRC channel on freenode.
Other topics we didn't have time to mention
multiple cursor mode.
check out Magnar Sveen's videos on http://emacsrocks.com/ to have your mind blown.
Emacs lisp package archive http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELPA