Do you have an interest in the Emacs text editor?
Informal meeting to talk about Emacs.
Things we can cover:
- Preview discussion for Rock Your Emacs workshop
- Getting started with emacs
- org-mode to keep yourself organised
- magit for working with git
- Emacs 24: package management, lexical variables, oh my!
- Elnode the async emacs-lisp webserver
- Guile and emacs and elisp, oh my!
- what's new in emacs 24.4
- How to deal with coming across from Vi(m)
- emacs users mailing list
Please add other topics you'd like to cover.
Event Organiser: Jason Lewis
Update after the BoF
Thanks for attending. Topics covered included:
- getting started with emacs for vi users
do the emacs tutorial. Launch emacs and type Ctrl-h followed by the letter t
Also investigate evil mode, but this just delays learning emacs proper.
Great for file management
- mmm mode
multiple modes. I'm of the opinions multi modes is hard and there is no really good solution for this.
- web mode
- magit screencast
meet magit on vimeo, alex vollmer
- require uniquify
makes names of buffers unique based its path if you are editing multiple files of the same name
icomplete-mode replaced it in 24.4
what all the cool kids are using these days instead of paredit
- [[emacs users mailing list]]
- 8 in attendance including 2 intrepid vi users.
Jason Lewis Ben Sturmfels Brendan O'Dea Thomas Petazzoni Margaret Wood Nick Urbanik Lyndon White Shane MacPhillamy
- a mode for Device Tree language
check if there is a mode for dns bind, might be similar.
- for further info on emacs
- IRC channel on freenode.
- emacs wiki
- Other topics we didn't have time to mention
- multiple cursor mode.
check out Magnar Sveen's videos on http://emacsrocks.com/ to have your mind blown.
Emacs lisp package archive http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELPA